Review: Coin Heist by Elisa Ludwig

Wednesday, 14 May 2014 22:41
Title: Coin Heist
Author: Elisa Ludwig
Publication Date: June 10th, 2014
Genres: Contemporary, Mystery, Young adult
Rating: 1.5 of 5 stars

The last place you’d expect to find a team of criminals is at a prestigious Philadelphia prep school. But on a class trip to the U.S. Mint – which prints a million new coins every 30 minutes – an overlooked security flaw becomes far too tempting for a small group of students to ignore. United by dire circumstances, these unlikely allies – the slacker, the nerd, the athlete, and the "perfect" student – band together to attempt the impossible: rob the U.S. Mint. The diverse crew is forced to confront their true beliefs about each other and themselves as they do the wrong thing for the right reasons. Elisa Ludwig's Coin Heist is a fun, suspenseful, and compelling thriller, told from the revolving perspectives of four teens, each with their own motive for committing a crime that could change all of their lives for the better—if they can pull it off.



What might have been a really fun book turned out to be Read-me-if-you-want-to-sleep kind of book.



I was bored and spiritless throughout the whole book. Yet again, this would have been a really good book if I had read it a few years ago. My eyes actually fell asleep while reading this book. True story. That's why I took such a long time to finish this book. 

The Story 

Jason, Alice, Benny and Dakota are high school kids who go to the same school but they're not really friends. They never run into each other because of how different their lives are. Suddenly, the school loses all of its money and cancels all the projects the students were doing which obviously angers the student body. So these kids decide to rob a US mint. 

The point of view switches from the aforementioned characters. According to me, all of them sounded the same. They have no originality, no uniqueness or any standout quality.They all sounded BORING.

Initially when I saw this title I was like "Oh goody! It has thieving in it! Yay!" and after starting this book I was like, "Is this the right book?" Turns out it was :(

15% through and I was already like this:


Throughout the whole book I was like this:


I was sourly disappointed because I really wanted to like this book. The title for me was very misleading because "COIN HEIST" sounds like "COOL" when it's actually like "SLEEPY-SLEEPY-SLEEP!"

This book was robbed of life. Maybe if it had a bit of energy or a bit of sunshine it would have been really good. I would have definitely enjoyed it. Oh wait, I found the right word! This book was dry.

The characters seemed typical and cliched. I didn't see anything that I liked in them. There were no glimmer of hopes in this book. Every chapter I finished, I felt nothing. I felt like a robot reading this book. No wait, I'm wrong. I felt dread. I felt this sickening feeling that this book was never going to end. I was constantly afraid of slipping into that weird kind of sleep where your eyes are closed but your brain is still wondering what's going on.

Overall, I didn't enjoy nor did I like any part of this book. This is a light read, thankfully so I would suggest that you read this book at your own cost. Or really just skip it, you won't be losing anything.


Hershey